May 14, 2009

Retail therapy


Today's outing involved retail therapy. I wanted to buy a new purse, and had a coupon from Macy's. Unfortunately the bag I wanted was last season's so they didn't have a good summer color left. So we shlepped over to TJ Maxx and I found the perfect purse -- not too big, not too small, Italian leather in ORANGE! It was a lot of money, but hey, I'm worth it. And in orange, it will still look spectacular in the fall.

Shopping was preceded by lunch out at California Pizza Kitchen. I didn't want pizza, and the entrees are large. So I had little chicken filled wontons from the appetizer menu. The portion was just right -- I ate them all -- and the vaguely Asian flavor was a hit with my taste buds. The waiter kindly had the kitchen remove the sesame seeds from my plate. Plus they had a cherry-limeade drink that was unbelievably delicious!

After the retail therapy I was hungry again (must eat every two hours or I crash), so I took L to Baskin and Robbins for ice cream. Jamoca Almond Fudge is my personal B&R favorite, which I have been enjoying since I was about 12 years old. L had raspberry chip sorbet, which she loved.

In all, this has been a lovely day. I can't think of anything that gives me more pleasure right now than spending time with a friend over a meal. All those hospital days when I ate alone were not quite torture, but they did serve to focus on food as fuel. Instead, for me, food can be a spiritual experience, and sharing a meal with another person is a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors