December 06, 2009

Overnight French toast

When you have leftover challah, make this yummy overnight French toast. The recipe's quantities depends on how much challah is left and how much French toast you can eat. This is what we make for two people.

The night before you plan to eat:
Slice the leftover challah thickly and place in a heavily buttered or greased baking dish.

Make a custard by beating together about 1/2 cup milk, 2-3 eggs, 1/4 cup maple syrup, a dash of nutmeg and some salt.

Pour the custard over the challah. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the French toast for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and crunchy. The inside will be creamy and soft but fully cooked.

Serve with maple syrup (Rik's favorite) or with Greek-style yogurt (my favorite).
Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. mmmm that sounds devine! I always used to make french toast for my sons when they were toddlers and they loved it but I used to put honey on theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It sounds so delicious and yummy. I always like french toast and my my mouth already started watering.
    Thanks for the recipe to prepare tomorow.
    Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors