November 08, 2012

Day 1 post-chemo cycle 2

Wow, that title was a mouthful!

Yesterday I received the second dose of the second cycle of eribulin. All went incredibly smoothly and I was in and out within 90 minutes. The lab was fast, the pharmacy was fast, even the drips were fast! And my nurse was so on the spot with her timing, she scooted into my area just as the beeper went off. I had a great visit with T again, and we waxed philosophic on cancer, the recent US presidential election, and our deepening friendship. Shared burdens do make for increased closeness, in my experience.

Dunava came to my house for rehearsal last night, which I greatly appreciated, as my feet were truly talking to me about the neuropathy. The feeling is more intense than two weeks ago: burning, painful, numb, although it hasn't spread beyond the last area to be affected in my toes. The lack of spread may be due to the Cymbalta I started a few months ago. It's hard to tell.

At any rate, Dr G says he will consider reducing my eribulin dose again, or consider changing the dosing schedule, but first he wants to know how well this chemo is working. He won't keep me on it if it becomes intolerable. I'm a compliant patient --I  will keep him informed.

Today I went in for my shot of Neulasta, to boost my white blood cell count. I asked the nurse if she would consult with Dr G about my taking four days of steroids instead of only three days post-chemo. Normally Saturday would be my last dose of steroids. On Sunday afternoon I am supposed to be interviewed for a video at our synagogue, and on Sunday night Dunava has our first recording session for our new CD. I want to have energy for both events, and I'm afraid that if I don't take the steroids on Sunday, I will crash too hard. The nurse says it's okay to take one additional dose of steroids, and will confirm with Dr G.

Deb Perelman, aka "Smitten Kitchen"
Speaking of steroids, I am clearly flying! I was up until midnight last night, surfing online (but NOT shopping!). I awoke today at 7 AM, an hour earlier than usual, practically vibrating with energy.

I met my friend G at a book signing for our favorite cooking blogger, Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen, who just had her first cookbook published, The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. ( haven't read it yet, just paged through a copy while we listened to Deb talk. She's as funny in person as online!) Afterwards we ate lunch at The Continental (avgolemono soup and a shared platter of dolmades, olives, feta cheese and their terrific Greek pita). I went for the Neulasta and to my support group.

I'm still vibrating with energy, but my feet hurt, so I'm going to put them up for a bit and snuggle with Bobka. I do have a shul meeting this evening, and hopefully will still have energy to get out tonight.

Gotta love those steroids!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you had a great time at the book launch. Smitten Kitchen is an adorable name - I'll have to check it out. And I'm sorry to hear your feet are in pain. I hope the doctor can make adjustments you need to be more comfortable. ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. bjohanna8:41 PM

    Must have just missed you at The Continental. We were there Thursday night. Had a hankering for one of my favorite comfort foods, avgolemono soup.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors