July 22, 2011

Lashes and brows

One of the most annoying aspects of chemo-related hair loss is when you lose your eyelashes and eyebrows. Eyelashes play a surprisingly helpful role in everyday life, by filtering dust and whatnot from getting into your eyes. Eyebrows bring definition to your face and I at least find that I don't really look human, much less normal, to myself without brows.

Earlier this spring I found a new product in the cosmetic aisle at my local drug store that I decided to try. Physician Formula Eye Booster is supposed to "enhance the appearance of lashes while providing the instant definition of a liquid eyeliner, in one easy step." To my surprise, it worked! After six doses of chemo, and after losing most of my hair and brows, I still have eyelashes! I have tried both the clear serum and the one with eyeliner, but found that the brown eyeliner made my eyes tear and thus washed away almost immediately after applying.

I also use a MAC Powerpoint "Buried Treasure" soft eye pencil (charcoal grey color) over my upper lashes and to line my lower lashes. My friend N taught me to use a small angled brush to draw eye brows, instead of using an eyebrow pencil. She helped me choose  "MAC Mystery" satin (brown) eye shadow to brush over my brow bones and through my remaining eyebrow hairs. All of this helps give my eyes more definition, and makes me feel that I look more like myself.

It's way more makeup than I am used to wearing, but it gives me confidence. And apparently has kept my eyelashes!

2 comments:

  1. I really so sad after reading your this blog.Really you are so amazing and great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to give this a try - I'm still waiting for the eyelashes to come back (just little nubs right now). The brows grew in really light, so not planning on doing a thing with those - low maintenance! Thank you for including this information in your blog. Wishing you health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors