February 23, 2009

Musings

It seems that lately people have been telling me they find my story inspiring, or they admire how I cope with cancer, or they have in some other way put me on a pedestal. This makes me uncomfortable. Why?

I already feel somewhat isolated by having metastatic cancer. When people tell me they find me inspiring, it somehow makes me feel even more alone.

Although I have always seen the glass as half full, I also have low moments. If I feel that if you place me on a pedestal as The Amazing Cancer Coping Woman, I am reluctant to share my down times with you.

Today has been one of those days. I am STILL bandaging up to 23 hours a day, with no clear improvement. I have limited use of my left hand so can't catch up on the household chores, like ironing or making dinner. (I did manage to unload the dishwasher without breaking anything.) I want to lose a few more pounds but had no energy to make real food, so I had a coffee and cookies for lunch. I had lower back pain but didn't take anything until it was starting to drive me a little crazy. Now all I want to do is take a nap.

Sleep has become a coping mechanism. When I feel like I just can't deal with it any more, I go to sleep. At least my dogs like to nap with me. So I think I will crash now and hopefully wake refreshed.

That's me -- always hopeful.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to your feelings...people look at me as "super-survivor" and I am really not that strong. I have lymphedema also and it is an everyday struggle, so time consuming to care for, uncomfortable and inconvienent. I give you credit for sharing your most personal feelings on this blog. I have found that I can't even post on mine anymore because I am disappointing people if they knew what my days are really like! I know you tried the JoViPak with no success, but don't give up on that idea. My therapist suggested a garment called the Tribute by Solaris. It is custom made for my arm (which I wonder is why the JoViPaK didn't work for you) and I wear it every night in place of bandaging. Some nights I wrap my fingers and hand but the Tribute slides right over the wrap. The Solaris company has wonderful customer service and my insurance covered most of the cost. I hope you find a solution for your lymphe-"demon" soon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you feel that way, although I can understand why you do. Surprisingly the people that bring me down the most are people who think they understand exactly what I am thinking or what I am going through. The worst is a friend of the family who regales me with stories of horrible cancer deaths while assuring me that I should not be fearful because they died of 'other cancers'. He also once told me that he understood my anger. (What anger?, I asked.) He went on to explain that his sister had cancer and sometimes she simply did not answer the phone because she was 'too angry to speak w/ people who did not have cancer.' (I have never felt angry at people for this reason, I was quick to assure him. I would not wish this on anyone...) He interrupted me to tell me that he understood it was hard to admit this anger. I started to get very angry at him because I wasn't angry at all....

    Another lady from our church is always very curious about how chemo was going. Being an optimist, I said fine. And really, it was. It was taking a physical toll, of course, but I had, comparitively speaking, few side effects compared to others. Friends buoyed my spirits when they flagged. Really, I was trying to focus on my blessings, and found to my astonishment, I was doing fine. This elderly woman was not content with my answer. Each time that I answered that I was doing well, she responded with "I don't believe you."

    People like these made me feel angry and frustrated. I felt as if they were not going to be content until they saw me 'fall apart', begin to cry, something, so that they could comfort me. Negative energy. Ack.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors