October 28, 2008

2 weeks with the port accessed

Today is the two week mark for my port being accessed. The home care nurse is supposed to come over today to de-access it and then re-access it for the remaining few days I need to take IV antibiotics. I gather that the protocol is not to leave a port-a-cath accessed for longer than 14 days. Thankfully Swedish Home Health Care sent along lidocaine so that any pain could be minimized.

It's been a royal pain in the patoot to administer the IV antibiotic every 8 hours. Since I prefer to stay up late rather than wake up early, I've been on the 8 AM - 4 PM - midnight schedule. But staying up until midnight has it's own risks and it turns out to be hard to wake up in time to give myself the 8 AM dose. I've become a fan of late night TV (Frasier, Family Guy, Sex and the CIty when I can find it). It helps keep me awake. The other night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 12:15 AM with the certain notion that I had forgotten to do something.

I hope more or less on time is more or less okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors