September 27, 2012

cure magazine feature





I was interviewed for the recent cure magazine feature on living with metastatic breast cancer.













FEATURE STORY
The Estrogen Effect: New Ways to Treat Hormone-Positive Breast Cancer
BY HEATHER L. VAN EPPS, PHD


PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 13, 2012
Patients with ER-positive breast cancer have more potential treatments with new therapies and combinations.
In the late 1970s, treatment of hormone receptor-positive breast cancer was revolutionized by the introduction of the drug tamoxifen. Since then, a multitude of successful new hormone-based (endocrine) drugs have followed. But despite this formidable arsenal, not all patients respond to these drugs, and many who do respond eventually relapse.

This was the case for 53-year-old Seattle resident Jill Cohen. In 2002, doctors discovered that her breast cancer—initially diagnosed as early-stage disease in 1998—had returned and spread to her bones. Cohen is alive thanks to a series of hormone therapy drugs.

“I feel extraordinarily lucky,” Cohen says. “I have long outlived the statistical odds.”





To read the rest of the article, or to request a copy, click here. CURE Magazine is widely available in oncologists' offices and treatment centers.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making Cure magazine. Its a wonderful magazine and a great resource and you are an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cure Magazine is a free subscription, great articles. Congrats (sort of) for appearing in the magazine. I agree with Caroline totally. I will have to read my new issue tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, this is one of the best magazines! Congratulations for being featured! I know I've said this before, but, thank you so much for sharing your journey! You are an inspiration to me (and to others, too). Everyday that you get up and move forward, is another day that I know I can too! Cancer survivors share something very special. I hope you are enjoying your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Hi Jill:

    I am an editor at Health Monitor Network in Montvale, NJ. I would like to request permission to run some quotes from your blog in our Guide to Metastatic Cancer, which will be distributed free to patients through oncologists' offices. Naturally, I will credit you and mention your blog.

    I couldn't find a way to email you. You can respond to me at KathleenE@healthmonitor.com.

    Thank you, Jill! I hope to hear from you soon and would be happy to email you a pdf of a different guide so you can see what these look like.

    Best,
    Kathleen Engel
    201/649-0972

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Jill!

    I forgot to request a headshot from you, if you are agreeable to our using your quotes and attributing them to you.

    You can email a photo to me: KathleenE@healthmonitor.com. You can also check out our site, healthmonitor.com.

    Again, thanks!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill -

    Your interview and this article - besides being hopeful - should help show the importance of determination to get good care. It's such an important message.

    L'shana tova to you and Rik,

    Pam

    8:01 AM

    ReplyDelete

Contributors