September 16, 2012

A sweet new year to all

Tonight begins Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year. We will spend the holiday with good friends, praying, eating and shmoozing.

Today I baked the annual Sephardic cookies called travados. They are a soft pastry filled with chopped nuts, sugar and egg, formed into a half-moon shape, baked and then boiled for a few minutes in a honey-sugar-lemon syrup and sprinkled with sesame seeds. I also baked two challot using Smitten Kitchen's techniques: one filled with pears (she uses apples) and the other with a chopped fruit filling. Plus I will bring some of the chopped liver to share with our friends.

Celebrating another new year is kind of like celebrating a birthday or my metsiversary for me. It's yet another milestone to mark that I am still here, living well with advanced cancer. Indeed, I am still dancing with cancer.

To help ring in a joyous new year, take a look at this photo from Israel in Switzerland:


For those who don't read Hebrew, the participants are standing, bending, etc. to spell happy new year in Hebrew.

And so, I wish all a sweet, happy and healthy new year, filled with all the good things in life.

Shana tova!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors