February 24, 2015

The latest

On February 3, 2015, the FDA recently approved the newest drug for my kind of metastatic breast cancer, Ibrance (palbociclib). Last week, Dr G told me he wanted me to try it. Last week my health insurance company approved one month's supply. Yesterday the pharmacy called to tell me the drug had arrived. Now that's what I'd call fast service.

Dr G wants me to take it because palbociclib was first used to treat brain cancers and I have brain metastases. Abraxane was beating down my red and white cell counts and my platelets, so it was time to move onto another therapy.

According to the website, "IBRANCE is a prescription medicine that is used along with the medicine letrozole for the treatment of postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor (ER)-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative advanced breast cancer as the first hormone-based therapy for their metastatic disease."

You can read more about Ibrance here. I'll be sure to blog about how it affects me. Let's hope again for good tolerance, limited side effects and fast work at reducing my tumor markers!

3 comments:

  1. Crossing fingers, toes, and everything else I can think of for you, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything crossed! Excited to see Ibrance approved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. May your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors