April 16, 2014

OK, I invented a dessert

As a riff on both Marcy Goldman's recipe for Matzoh Buttercrunch, and on Hershey's Almond Joys and Mounds Bars, favorite candies of my childhood, I invented a Passover version. Of course, you could make it any time of year; it's gluten-free and totally yummy (I think). Try it and let me know you opinion!


NOTE: The bars fell apart after I tried to cut them. I think next time I'll make individual ones in muffin tins lined with paper cupcake liners. But they still taste amazingly good, if I say so myself!

Passover “Almond Joy” Bars

Crust:
1 cup almond meal
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar

Heat oven to 375° F.
Line an 8-inch square pan with baking parchment.
Combine ingredients for crust, and press into the bottom of pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until fragrant and beginning to brown.

Center:
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Put oven rack in middle position and reduce oven heat to 300° F.
Whip together egg whites, sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt until peaks form. Stir in coconut. Spread coconut layer over almond crumb layer. Bake until top is pale golden in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.

Topping:
½ bag of chocolate chips
12 or more whole almonds

Spread chocolate chips over coconut layer. Transfer to a rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes. Decorate with whole almonds. Chill in refrigerator. Cut into bars to serve.

I think if you change three ingredients, you can call a recipe your own. I did adapt the almond crust and macaroon middle layer from:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Macaroons-232018




No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors