January 18, 2013

The latest

My tumor markers have gone up a bit (not statistically significant) but Dr G wants to watch this in case it's a trend. I will stay on the current combo (mid-dose eribulin, Avastin, Aromasin and high dose Faslodex) for another month. If the numbers trend upward again, we will consider changing treatments and perhaps rescan. I haven't had scans in months, but as Dr G says, the time to scan is when there's a reason to scan.

We breifly discussed Xeloda, which he prefers for treating brain mets, but is related to the 4FU that put me in the hospital for almost two weeks a few years ago. So he's reluctant to use it, but I push him on it every time we think about changing things up.

Then Dr G remembered reading about a drug recently approved for metastatic prostate cancer but also studied in metastatic breast cancer. It's called cabazitaxel. II have responded well to taxanes, and this particular drug has a much lower risk of neuropathy, which would be of real relief to my feet. However, it's given with steroids, and I'm not sure of how frequently (i.e., once a week for two weeks. etc.).

No doubt we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. In the meantime, I have another month of eribulin coming at the mama bear dose both times in the cycle. (I had the mama bear dose and the baby bear dose this time.)

Now to get ready for a houseful of singers!

1 comment:

  1. Jill,

    I love your blog, thank you for sharing your story with us! I have a question I'd love to hear you talk about: You are an empowered patient. How do you get comfortable pushing back on docs and taking the reins on your treatment? Thank you,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Contributors