March 10, 2010

Checking in - lymphedema update

Sorry that I haven't posted in a few days, but I had almost nothing to say.

I saw the physical therapist again early in the week and my hand is about the same as last time. Clearly the sleeve is still pushing fluid into my hand, even with the glove and nighttime hand bandaging.

We are trying something else now: I will wear the glove only and no sleeve, plus wrap my hand at night. I tried it for the first time today and my arm seems a bit swollen but not much, and my hand is definitely less filled with fluid. In addition, the PT and I agree that I need to see her twice a week, not once a week, for manual lymphatic drainage.

I am getting very tired of bandaging my hand at night. I am taking lorazepam to sleep, and now and then I need some to take the edge off my frustration and anxiety at not being able to do anything while wrapped. Can't hold a pen to take notes at nighttime meetings, can't drive, can't hold a book and have to do everything else with my non-dominant hand. Uggh.

I sure hope this works.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Thinking of you, Jill! If you ever need a resource for lymphedema, check out our Guide to Understanding Lymphedema on our website!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors