September 18, 2009

The first Jewish service held in Germany during WWII

Rik sent me this article from today's New York Times about Max Fuchs, the soldier who helped lead the first Jewish service in Nazi Germany since Hitler's rise to power.

My dad was very proud of his army service during the war. He died last summer, so I can no longer ask if he was at Aachen on this momentous occasion. But you can watch a video made by the American Jewish Committee. Especially on this eve of Rosh Hashanah, it's worth watching.

“We bring you now a special broadcast of historic significance: The first Jewish religious service broadcast from Germany since the advent of Hitler.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill,

    I tried to find a way to message you privately but couldn't connect to your facebook account or find your email. So.....

    Since October is Breast Cancer awareness month, I am looking to raise awareness and money for this great cause.

    I will be putting links in the sidebar of my blog that will allow visitors to donate to Susan G Komen and Keep a Breast.

    I am looking to have some guest bloggers leave posts about their own interaction with this disease. Whether it's about surviving, losing a loved one, informational, poems, etc. Anything breast cancer related. If you could be a guest blogger on my site, that would be wonderful.

    My mom is a breast cancer survivor which is why I have gotten involved with this charity.

    Thank you so much!

    Tina
    http://talkinwithteenie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Contributors