February 28, 2008

Dad is sick

My dad has been in the hospital since last Tuesday. He is really ill this time. I have participated via telephone in a couple of family meetings and it appears that when he is discharged, it will be to a rehab facility with skilled nursing care. It's not too likely that he will come home.

We're all taken aback, but perhaps I am less surprised than my mother or sister. After all, one of the things living with advanced cancer meant was that I faced my own mortality at the relatively young age of 42. I'm reminded of how important it is to make decisions for yourself and express your wishes with regard to health care decisions while you have the energy and strength to do so. How else can your partner and family know that they're doing what you would want?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:32 AM

    Jill - I am not sure how I found your blog. My relationship with breast cancer is deep. Your words just pulled at me.
    I am so sorry about your father. It doesn't matter if you are 4 or 40 - it is never easy.
    You are a beautiful inspiration and I hope to continue to follow your journey.

    Sally

    http://pinkribbonsally.wordpress.com/

    http://sallynix.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Contributors