November 02, 2007

Celebrating Mom's 80th birthday

My sister and I planned a wonderful luncheon to celebrate our mother's 80th birthday. Twenty-two of her friends joined us. My niece Dana even took her vocabulary test first thing in the morning so she could leave school early to attend!

We went to a lovely Italian restaurant where we enjoyed Caesar salad (but sadly no anchovies), fish served with a polenta cake and asparagus spears, and tiramisu. There were entree choices, but somehow almost everyone ordered the same dishes.

Susan had also bought bottles of prosecca, the Italian sparkling wine, so we could both toast and roast our mom. Then Mom made a short speech, telling everyone how she knew them. There were friends from her mah jongg and canasta games, from her volunteer work at the temple, and best of all for me, some of her "oldest" girlfriends.

I sat with Z and F, who were my mom's high school girlfriends. They've never been out of touch, even after so many years. Her good friend, the other Z, who my mom knew from our life in Cincinnati, and who now lives nearby, joined us as well.

Z's and F's husbands drove down as well and visited with my dad. They had all been newlyweds together. After the luncheon, we looked at footage they had shot on New Year's Eve 1950. It was a joy to see my parents and these friends I have known all my life as young married couples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors