October 18, 2007

Boycotting October


I wore my "Boycott October" button the other day, a gift from my friend Jeanne, the Assertive Cancer Patient. Several people asked me about it. "What's wrong with buying pink merchandise?" they asked. "Doesn't that support breast cancer awareness?" To which I replied, only if you know how much money is going to the cause and whether or not there is a ceiling on the amount of money raised.

Why can't Yoplait yogurt just give half a million dollars every year to the Komen Foundation? Why do we have to lick the lids clean, save them, and mail them in?

Really, I'd prefer if people made a donation to an organiztion that supports women with breast cancer or research into a cure rather than buy more pink ribbon crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors