September 26, 2007

A little pain

I've had some new pain in my right hip, the kind that wakes you up in the middle of the night. At 3 AM I find myself restlessly trying to get comfortable in bed, when the figurative light bulb goes off over my head -- I'm in pain! That's why I'm twitching! So I take some pain meds and am usually able to get back to sleep.

Four such occasions in the last week might mean disease progression, so I called my oncologist. I will probably have some tests, maybe a bone scan or PET scan, and then we will talk about treatment options.

Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is worry and fear. How far has it progressed? What new drug will I have to take? Will I be able to have radiation a third time in the same place? All of these questions are much scarier when I'm awake in the middle of the night.

In the meantime, the pain meds are my friends....

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:49 AM

    I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment, I came upon your blog by accident.

    I thought I would add that my daughter (20) has metastatic osteosarcoma and she finds heat packs can sometimes help with bone pain.

    Barry.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors