October 14, 2011

Go Sis!

This weekend my sister participates in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure® in Philadelphia. Participants must raise a minimum of $2300 and train to increase their stamina and ability to walk 20 miles each day.

I am proud that S raised $6500 for Komen. When we spoke yesterday, she was planning to spend the evening with her walking buddy, decorating their backpacks with the names of those they are honoring and remembering in their walk. In our family, this includes both our grandmothers (as well as me, of course). S also plans to recognize her friends and colleagues who have had breast cancer.

Here's what S wrote on her donation page:






With your help, I can make a difference
For over 12 years I have watched my sister, Jill Cohen, live with
metastatic breast cancer. Her journey has been inspiring. Many of us
have watched loved ones struggle with breast cancer, survive breast
cancer, and too many have lost their lives to breast cancer. The Susan
G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure is something I can do now, and with hope,
prayer and together with your financial support we can make a
difference in the lives of many.
The Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure™ is a 60-mile walk over the
course of three days. Net proceeds from the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for
the Cure™ are invested in breast cancer research and community
programs. The Philadelphia 3-day is October 14-16, 2011.
Jill has benefited since the early years of her diagnosis from the
Susan G. Komen Foundation. She has attended many conferences for young
women with breast cancer, support groups, and programs with scholarship
from Komen.
I am walking the 3-Day with my dear friend Erica King. We have been
training since April, with a small "break" to heal my broken ankle.
Since we need to get to 20 mile increments, you may see us all over
Cherry Hill, logging the training miles! And yes, we proudly wear
pink.
You can read more about Jill's story on her blog, Dancing with Cancer

My thanks and gratitude for your support.

I am sure my sister will have a great time and achieve her goal of walking all 60 miles, just as her fundraising more than tripled the minimum required. You go, sis!



 (FYI, Charity Navigator rates Komen with four stars (Exceptional: Exceeds industry standards and outperforms most charities in its Cause.). Although I personally feel Komen should give more money to research and less to awareness (who in the USA isn't aware of breast cancer??), page 13 of their 2009-2010 annual report says they spend 7% on treatment, 24% on research, 15% on screening and 34% on education.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors