December 19, 2011

Chemo rescheduled for tomorrow

We arrived, as planned, one hour before my chemo appointment for labs, only to learn that Dr G was supposed to order dexamethasone (Decadron), a steroid taken for three days while on Taxol -- the first day being the day before treatment. There was some conversation about whether I should have Abraxane today instead, but eventually common sense won out.

Dr G ordered the Decadron, which we picked up at our pharmacy. I take it twice daily for three days. I will receive the first dose of Taxol tomorrow, the second one next week, and see Dr G the first week in January, all as planned. The Taxol will likely be given once a week for two weeks, and the third week off, so the planned schedule fits this pattern.

Although this mixup basically destroyed plans for two days, I was able to use the time waiting at the Cancer Institute well. I wrote several thank you notes for last week's Dunava concert and Beth Shalom brunch and came home with most of the items on my to-do list checked off. And you know I put things on the list just to be able to check them off!

Rik moved a tall table back into our living room so that I can set up our menorahs for Chanukah, which starts Tuesday night. I don't know if I will feel up to going to dinner at friends tomorrow night. It's too soon to predict how the chemo will hit me or how the steroids will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors