August 20, 2011

Ninth mets anniversary

Today is the ninth anniversary of the day I found out my cancer had metastasized and broke my leg. That day is clear in my mind. I felt hopeless and not in control of my own life. My body had betrayed me a second time. And yet I am fortunate to sit here at my computer today, living about as well now as I did before. I have long outlived all the predictions for women with mets. I always said that I wanted to be at the far right end hand of the survival curve, and indeed, there I am.

I've celebrated each of the mets-iversaries by having fun and blowing a big, wet raspberry Bronx cheer to my cancer. Some years it's been a potluck dinner party (the fifth year was especially festive, with live music and dancing); other years have been quieter celebrations. This time we invited over our closest friends for a taste of my favorite four food groups: potato chips, chocolate, whipped cream and champagne.

You eat the potato chips first (kettle fried chips from Trader Joe's), then have a champagne toast. Those two items go well together. Next you eat chocolate (flourless cake from Whole Foods and the truffles G brought from Oh! Chocolate) with whipped cream. The champagne serves as a kind of transition from salty to sweet. Of course we also had iced tea and iced coffee, because today was a rare hot summer day for Seattle.

I also led the Torah service at synagogue and asked for (and was given) the Kohen aliyah. I also asked for those leading the service to recite a special blessing for me for healing and I must say, the man filling in for our rabbi was terrific in how he acknowledged my situation. He talked about living well, a sentiment I concur with wholeheartedly.

Our afternoon guests stayed until 4:00, at which point it was more than time for me to relax. FYI, I have a busy week coming up, so don't be surprised if I don't post as often.

PS My eyelashes are still hanging in there!

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie10:23 PM

    Happy metiversary and enjoy your busy week. We'll be here when you have time to post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:08 AM

    I was reading at this time last year when you celebrated. I admired your spirit then. I am still reading today. I still admire your spirit. Maybe even more. ~debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mazel tov! What a great mental high...may it carry you through to next years 10th anniversary. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm chocolate! I admire you too! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors