August 31, 2011

Alaska

Last week Rik and I joined my mother, sister, brother-in-law, nephew and niece for a family vacation on an Alaskan cruise. We took the Sapphire Princess north to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria BC.

Sapphire Princess docked in Skagway.

Although I felt ill for most of the trip with mouth sores and that viral infection, I was able to enjoy our excursions to see bears, whale watching (or as the guide put it, whale waiting), a little shopping, a lot of eating and general family togetherness. We haven't all been together since the unveiling of my father's gravestone more than three years ago.











A bear eating fresh-caught salmon.


The view of Tracy Arm fjord from our cabin.
Without question the highlight for me was seeing the bears and watching the salmon run. I also really enjoyed the one day I stayed abed, cuddled in a comforter and looking at the Tracy Arm fjord. It was a brilliant idea to have two cabins with adjoining outdoor balconies. (I asked for one in case I needed to stay in bed -- a good call -- and my sister decided that was a good idea for her as well.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:52 AM

    Beautiful pictures, we have been to Alaska in June ,and I loved it. I was lucky to be able to do some hiking ,and we have seen a black bear from a very close distance on a trail....We have also seen one on a glacier in Juneau when taking a helicopter ride.Never had a chance to see Kodiak bear which is much bigger than our Canadian grizzly. It is good to hear that Abraxane/Avastin combo is working for you. Mouth sores are not much fun. I am full of an admiration for your unbeatable attitude.
    Lots of hugs.
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete

Contributors