August 29, 2010

My favorite household task

It's silver polishing time again. Twice a year, before Rosh Hashanah and Pesach, I take on my favorite household chore and polish the silver. (That's also when I make chopped liver, but more on that later.)

Some might laugh, but polishing the silver is like ironing: you start out with a tarnished (or wrinkled) item, and with a tiny amount of work, your item becomes bright and shiny (or crisply pressed).

When I was a child, I used to ask my mother, "Can I polish the silver? Please??" She, of course, was happy to have me take on a chore, and thus began my life-long live affair with silver polish.

This morning I went to the synagogue to polish the silver. Three of us spent an hour shining up the Torah crowns, pointers, breastplates, and other assorted items. Now I am home and about to start on our silver: trays, candlesticks, tea set, serving pieces, even a pair of earrings in need of a shine. I'll wear rubber gloves to keep the polish off my skin.

Too bad we're not hosting a holiday meal this year so I can show off my bright, shiny silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors