August 16, 2010

Beating the heat

We've had record-breaking heat in Seattle the past three days. It's been in the mid-90s, so hot that I literally could not go outside. I spent most of the weekend with curtains and shades drawn in the house, fans blowing, and wearing the lightest weight summer clothing I own: short shorts and silk or cotton sleeveless shirts. (It was practically too hot to wear a bra, but I had to draw the line somewhere.)

Wearing a scarf or hat on my head became intolerable after about 11 AM. I gave up and have been walking around with my 1/4 inch long hair showing. Thankfully it doesn't bother Rik to see me bald. I simply could not handle having anything, no matter how light, on my head.

We drank a pitcher of strong, sweet iced coffee with milk, just what I used to enjoy in Israel. Of course, in Israel they add some vanilla ice cream, which we did once on Saturday afternoon. That was cooling!

The rest of my eyelashes and eyebrows have pretty much fallen out. It's good that I have several weeks' practice drawing them on with eye makeup. It's the first thing I do after getting out of the shower and using sunblock -- draw on my face.

1 comment:

  1. Jill, so sorry that you are battling the heat. The after effects of cancer treatment often mean that it is not kind to us.
    I pray that I am never in the position to have to draw eyebrows etc with my left hand. That could be funny...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors