March 26, 2009

A new (old) drug -- 5-F U

I took 5-FU in the adjuvant setting, when I was originally diagnosed in 1999. This time it will be given intravenously once a week for six weeks, along with leucovorin, a form of folic acid, that helps the 5 FU work more effectively. I'll also take vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) to help manage any hand-foot syndrome, although the risk is smaller than for xeloda. The main side effects are diarrhea, mouth sores, even some hand-foot syndrome.

After six weeks, we will evaluate while I take a two week break from treatment. I may have more scans to determine how well the 5-FU is working.

I'll be calling my naturopath to see what he might recommend to supplement my health while on chemo.

It's my first chemo since 1999, and I don't mind saying I'm a little apprehensive. Still, I did take this drug once before and tolerated it pretty well. Maybe the same thing will happen again with this weekly dose. One can always hope.... and it's so like me to find the silver lining even in this cloud.

2 comments:

  1. And the fact that you find a silver lining even in dark clouds is why I continue to follow your story. You are an inspiration simply by being yourself.

    Good luck in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is: "Just say FU to cancer!" ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors