August 20, 2008

Chocolate Pudding Graham Cracker Pie

My favorite childhood dessert was chocolate pudding graham cracker pie. Both my mother and grandmother used to make this and I just had to recreate it for my "metsiversary" this year. In our house, chocolate is known as Vitamin CH -- gotta have your daily dose!

The night before the party I made two batches of the New-Style Old-fashioned Chocolate Pudding recipe from the April 1997 issue of Bon Appetit magazine, adding 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder. I didn't use the almond extract.

In a square pan I layered graham crackers, then poured half the pudding into the pan. Then more graham crackers and more pudding. The final layer was graham crackers. I covered the pan with foil and chilled it in the fridge until we were ready to eat.

The final outcome tasted just like childhood, although it wasn't as firm as Mom and I remembered. Possibly the Jello brand pudding we used to use firms up more than the homemade version.

I also made the Bittersweet Chocolate Tart found on page 892 of The Joy of Cooking (1997 version).

I served both desserts topped with freshly whipped cream, made with no sugar and lots of vanilla. Now that's a celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors