Today, Oct 13, is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. Here are a few facts to share when you are soliciting support for the MBC cause.
1) 30% of all breast cancer patients metastasize -- even stage 0 patients can and do metastasize.
2) Breast cancer patients can metastasize 20 and more years after their original breast cancer.
3) Metastatic breast cancer is the only breast cancer that is fatal -- 97-99% of all metastatic breast cancer patients succumb to the disease.
4) Average survival after metastasis is roughly 2 years.
5) According to the American Cancer Society website, only 15% of these patients are alive 5 years after diagnosis.
6) Only 2-5% of research funds in the western world go toward research for ANY stage IV cancer.
6) Roughly 40,000 Americans die annually of the disease ... that is 110 every day.
7) Why do some people metastasize while other do not? Forget all the "feel good" myths you have been told. The truth is this: It is sheer luck ... either good luck or bad luck ... and that's the plain, honest truth of the matter.
So, when are we getting a cure?
PS You can see a METAvivor video here.