March 06, 2012

End of the first round of Vorinostat

Today was my second PET scan in two days and the end of this first round of Vorinostat. Rik woke me at 6:30, I rolled into the shower, dressed and went off to SCCA. The FDG PET scan is done fasting, so I didn't have so much as a cup of weak tea before getting scanned.

Afterwards I went to the Portage Bay Cafe at the South Lake Union location. (Normally we eat at the original restaurant on Roosevelt.) This site has an even better breakfast toppings bar! In addition to real maple syrup, brown sugar, sliced almonds, dried currants and what must be the largest bowl of whipped cream on the planet, the fruit here is fresh, not frozen as on Roosevelt. I chose from among piles of fresh raspberries, marion berries, blueberries and strawberries to top my buckwheat pancake, which was the size of a dinner plate. With a mug of coffee (topped with whipped cream, of course), I refueled for the day.

Yesterday's FES PET scan went well also. It's much less stressful when I don't have to fast. But it was scheduled for the end of the day, and so by the time I finished at 6 PM, I was in no frame of mind to cook. Rik ordered a pizza, we drank the remnant of a bottle of red wine, and I crashed on the sofa for the evening.

Tonight I begin the six weeks of Femara!


  1. Hi Jill,
    Your blog is wonderful and you must be a very strong woman for battling cancer four different times. I am contacting you on behalf of the Mesothelioma Center at I was wondering if you would be interested in our organization contributing an article about mesothelioma cancer for your site. Mesothelioma is a rare cancer that appears in the lining of the lungs, heart and stomach. Our goal is to bring awareness to this disease and prevent future cases by educating the public about the dangers of asbestos. Additionally we work 1-on-1 with individuals and their families to help them find local doctors, treatment centers and support groups. We have a team of knowledgeable writers that would love to write original content about the topic for your website and its visitors.
    If this is something you would be interested in or if you have any questions please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for your time.
    Best Regards,
    Mike Postorino
    National Awareness Director

  2. Yes agree your blog is fascinating.

  3. So glad you have a new clinical trial and that your markers continue to decrease. I have neuropathy from 12 doses of Taxol in 2010. Accupunture and a small machine called THE REBUILDER 300 have improved things so that I'm not thinking of my feet with each step. I soak my feet,separately in hot water (epsom salt added to increase conductivity)2x a day. The machine is run by a 9 volt battery. An electrode goes into each water well and electifies the water slightly for 30 minutes. Mary Nickolay