July 08, 2008

Halfway through sheloshim

Yesterday was day 15 of the 30 day sheloshim period while I mourn my father. What have I learned so far?

Language skills come back. Reading the morning service has become much easier with daily practice. I'm still slower than most, but I am becoming more familiar with the Hebrew. Somewhat to my surprise, I also understand much of what I am reading. I suppose that contributes to my (lack of) speed. I want to comprehend, not repeat by rote.

Mornings come early. But it was easier for me to be on time for the 7 AM weekday start than the 9 AM holiday (Independence Day) or 9:30 AM Sunday. Go figure.

This morning I overheard one man ask another if he had time to get a coffee. He had to decline, and I said "Going to minyan is like having a 'morning coffee' with God."

I enjoy singing. Now, those who know me already knew this, but singing every day (at 7 AM!) has been a most pleasant way to start the day.

I remember bits and pieces about my dad at odd moments. Last week I caught myself looking at the nails on my left hand and was reminded of my father. He used to do this all the time. Random events can trigger memories and I get the urge to share them with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors