July 07, 2008

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I have just finished reading the most marvelous book: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Set in Seattle, it tells one family's story through narration by the dog. It was poignant and beautifully written.

Here is one paragraph that particularly appealed to me:

"To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. To feel the joy of life, as Eve felt the joy of life. To separate oneself from the burden, the angst, the anguish that we all encounter every day. To say I am alive, I am wonderful, I am, I am. That is something to aspire to. When I am a person, that is how I will live my life."

My all-time favorite author, Robert Heinlein, once quoted the ancient Romans in a similar vein. Dum vivmus, vivamus -- While we live, let us live!

(All dog lovers should read this book!)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it was reading Heinlein as a teen or just a move of graceful spirit, but I was with my buddies on a camp out and I told my friend David, "The essence of life is living." He looked at me and then hollered at the other 4 or 5 guys camping with us. Hey y'all, Hogan, just came out with something brilliant! haha... I am going to look this book up. :)
    I recently read "Life of Pi" an intriguing survival novel.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors