May 04, 2006

Lymphedema, Folklife, Komen Race

Well, the bandaging helped, but it's so hot outside I think I need my glove anyway.

Last night my choir came over for rehearsal. We sing (a cappella) women's music from the Balkans. You can read about us here. In the photo I'm in the center back, top row.

It was a very laid back rehearsal. We talked, drank za'atar (hyssop) and verbena tea from Israel, and ate oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as much as we sang. We are trying to work up some new songs for our performance at Folklife over Memorial Day weekend.

We will perform at the Northwest Folklife Festival on Sunday, May 28 from 1 - 1:30 PM in the Nesholm Family Lecture Hall at McCaw Hall. The festival is free and you are all welcome to attend!

I just signed up for the Komen Seattle Race for the Cure on Saturday, June 17th. I've done the Race several times over the years and have tried to raise money each time. This year my goal is to again raise $1000. Last year my parents were in town that weekend, and Mom went with me. We walked around the stadium, sat and drank coffee, had our photo taken by the official photographer, got some free tchatchkes from the sponsors, and happened to meet the daughter of someone in my support group. It was really fun!

It’s always inspiring to me to be in the survivors’ parade. That’s how the Race closes – all the survivors line up by the number of years since their diagnosis and walk into the stadium to the cheers of the crowd.

Last year I walked with all the women who have metastatic disease. It was wonderful and sad to see so many of us. I hope everyone who was there last year can walk again this year!

I hope you will sponsor me and help me reach my goal of $1000 to end breast cancer. My personal Race page is --

http://www.pugetsoundraceforthecure.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=1000&px=1006327

The Race’s goal is to raise $1.5 million. Some of this money will provide early detection to women without access to mammograms. Some will help women disabled by their cancer. And some will support national research to find a cure.

You can make a credit card donation online by simply clicking on the link or copying and pasting it into your web browser. Then click on the “Support Jill” button.

Whatever you can give will help! I truly appreciate your support and you know I will keep you posted on my progress.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:07 PM

    Love the blog - remember how I wanted you to write a book? This is better. You are now bookmarked as a favorite. I can only imagine that you will take this blog on lots of different tangents, you just have to be careful because it is public domain.

    Maybe I should blog the life of a synagogue president - no names, just stories - but who has the time when you are synagogue president?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Jill, either way I love hearing about all the wonderful things you are doing.

    You're the best!
    stella

    ReplyDelete

Contributors