May 08, 2006

3 days bandaged – ouch!

I am on my third day in a row of bandaging for lymphedema and AM I CRANKY!

The bandaging is soft but not comfortable. I’m left-handed, but if you’re not, go ahead and imagine the following on your right hand –

1. Long, narrow strips of gauze wrapped around your fingers from nail bed to knuckles;
2. Foam chip bags placed on my forearm and elbow to break up sluggish lymph fluid;
3. Fleece-like padding wrapped around the hand and extending from the wrist to armpit;
4. Long, stretchy bandages (like Ace bandages) on top of it all.

The effect looks like a brown cloth cast. The impact?

Well, I can’t hold a pen while bandaged. I can’t use a knife so I can’t prepare food. It’s REALLY hard to type. It’s hard to open a bottle, fold the laundry, brush my teeth. Maybe you can imagine more.

The compression feels like someone is squeezing my arm in a tight handshake that goes from my wrist to my elbow. (It’s not as tight around the upper arm.) And I wear it for 23 hours a day, taking it off only to shower and dress.

I like to sleep on my left side, and with my arm bandaged I can’t curl up like usual, so I don’t sleep well. So I take a sleeping pill. And then, hopefully when the bandaging has taken effect and my arm is back to normal, I stop taking the sleeping pills and get rebound insomnia for a night or two.
OY.

I am unbelievably cranky because I feel so disabled by this lymphedema treatment. I do it because in the past it has worked, my arm’s swelling has reduced to normal, and I can return to wearing my regular compression sleeve. But the cumulative effect of 3 days in the sleeve is making me crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Josie Katz7:50 AM

    Jill, I feel so bad for you - it's not the first time this has happened. The lesson is: keep away from weeding - weeds are nice anyway.
    Remember your credo: keep on keeping on.
    We love you, as always and hope this resolves itself so you can write, type, etc. again soon.
    Love, (your other) Mom

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My Photo
I dance with cancer. Oy!