December 17, 2012

What's new in CancerLand

I was able to start another round of eribulin last week. At first Dr G wasn't sure that my numbers would rebound in time, particularly my platelet count, but everything came back up by the end of the week.

Dr G also gave me permission to reduce the follow up doses of dexamethasone (daily for three days after chemo). I took only 4 mg per day, and that seemed to be fine. I had enough energy without feeling completely wigged out.

The neuropathy in my feet continues about the same. It's apparently still confined to my toes and the balls of my feet. Occasionally I am in pain by bedtime, with searing foot cramps. Wearing socks to bed seems to have helped that. I think it has to do with keeping my extremities warm. If my feet feel warm, they don't cramp. Taking lorazepam in the evening if the discomfort is intolerable also helps.

I am beginning to feel some numbness in my fingertips and a tiny bit of tingling in the palms of my hands. I'll be sure to report this to Dr G when I see him next week.

Today I took a nap, for the first time in days. Maybe it was the steroids wearing off (today was the third of three days), maybe I was just bored, but one minute I was reading and the next I was snoozing.

And that's the news from CancerLand today.

1 comment:

  1. bjohanna9:07 PM

    I don't know if this works for all kinds of cramps, but quinine water works for me. I had the world's worst foot/leg cramps after treatment. Eventually, those stopped happening. Now, years after cancer treatment but right after foot surgeries, I have slight foot cramps several times a week and an occasional big one - all in the evening. I keep a bottle of "tonic water, contains quinine" next to the bed. Any brand will work and it doesn't still need to be fizzy. Sometimes a small sip does the job. On the major cramps, I need to drink a lot more. But it always works for me.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors