First of all: Who in western culture isn't aware of breast cancer?
Second: How will licking yogurt lids * help people like me?
* "Yoplait will donate $.10 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure® for each pink lid redeemed by December 31, 2011, up to $2 million. Only 25 codes per user email address per day may be entered online. Restrictions apply."Whoopee. Why can't Yoplait just donate the money? And there are many other charities besides Komen that fund research in to the treatment of and cure for breast cancer.
So this year, when you see all the tempting pink ribbon crap on the market place, think before you pink. Ask the hard questions:
1. How much money from your purchase actually goes toward breast cancer? Is the amount clearly stated on the package?
2. What is the maximum amount that will be donated?
3. How are the funds being raised?
4. To what breast cancer organization does the money go, and what types of programs does it support?
5. What is the company doing to assure that its products are not actually contributing to the breast cancer epidemic?
Don't buy into the pink. Make your dollar really count through a donation. Here are two of my favorite breast cancer charities, oriented towards research. After all, that's what I need.
Breast Cancer Research Foundation