May 27, 2016

The latest from Dr G

I saw Dr G yesterday and he spoke several times with my cousin Dr Rich Schilsky. They agreed I should try the immunotherapy drug pembrolizumab that reportedly works so well for former US President Jimmy Carter and other melanoma patients, so Dr G will try to get my insurance company to approve it for off label use. Dr G told me he had the first patient to use this in Seattle and has several others, both with and without melanoma, who are taking it, with mixed results. Some have fantastic responses, with no or minimal side effects. One died. It's impossible to say how it might affect me, but it's a new option.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sending good thoughts your way. I'm so glad you have good physicians to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mean to scare you but I nearly died from Pembro--a month in the hospital and 2 weeks in rehab and dialysis. You can read my blog about it-- barbigwire.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping for positive response to this new treatment!
    You are in good hands! Hugs,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I have been wondering how it is working for breast cancer, hope it does amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, your story and courage are amazing...is this Jill from UGA?

    ReplyDelete

Contributors