February 26, 2014

Lots going on

We have been very busy lately!

Last week we visited Rik's parents and enjoyed some Florida sunshine at the same time. Although the temperature was in the 80s, thankfully my lymphedema arm did not swell from either the long flights or the heat.

On Sunday we re-stocked our fridge at Costco and ended up leasing a new 2013 Nissan Leaf. It was a very busy day…

On Monday I had the second cataract surgery. All went well, and I didn't ask for more Versed, so I remember many details of the surgery. Remembering doesn't seem to bother me. We went out for breakfast at Skillet Diner, which continues to not quite live up to expectations, although breakfast was better than any other meal I've eaten there. The biscuit I ordered with my eggs was enormous and fluffy.

Tuesday was a lay-low day since I was "resting" for a PET/CT scan. No exercise and I was supposed to eat a high fat, low carbohydrate diet starting 24 hours before the scan. The scan was the next day at 11 AM, so I could eat a regular breakfast. I ate some leftover chicken for lunch. After my post-op check with the opthalmologist surgeon, we went to the grocery store and bought lamb chops for dinner, with which I sautéed some greens.

What I always seem to forget about this diet is that not eating carbohydrates (no bread, potatoes, etc.) leaves me feeling hungry. I ate some peanut butter at 11 PM and then fasted until the exam was over today at 2 PM. Believe me, eating breakfast after fasting for 15 hours was delicious no matter where you go!

I get the PET/CT results next week from Dr G. He's told me not to start another round of  Xeloda until after I see him and we speak about next steps in treatment.


  1. Anonymous6:19 AM

    I was fighting against a cancer stage 4.I think it is very important that family support to win, because i was very weak;really helped me participate in one group of victims of cancer, so my mood improved, also helped me a lot a medical adviser in advisercancer-diseases.com (they are doctors),this is important .I recomended not surrender, because sometimes the first treatment does not work as me, and sometimes change doctors it is necessary.Read positive thinking books gave me more energy.During my cancer,i changed my diet,now i eat vegetarian organic food(now i not eat meat).I think is a set of things that help me.

  2. I wish you the best of luck with your test results. I will be scheduling a visit with my oncologist in April or May. Haven't been in to see him in well over a year due to insurance issues. Even though I will become a 5-year breast cancer survivor on June 1, 2014 (with a no evidence of disease status), if I said I wasn't worried, I would be lying more to myself than to anyone else. With my current career path, my life is full of airports, hotels and eating on the run. I try not to let it get to me, but every time I put something in my mouth from an airport or hotel food vendor, I wonder if I'm putting my life in jeopardy with the choices that I have available to me. My heart goes out to anyone waiting for test results.