December 17, 2009

What I want for Chanukah


Every Jewish Star Trek fan needs this for Chanukah -- a Star Trek menorah!

Seriously. Gene Roddenberry (ST's creator), stars William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy and actors Walter Koenig, Brent Spiner, and Armin Shimerman are all Jews. Nimoy created the Vulcan hand sign that goes with "live long and prosper" from the way the kohanim (Jewish priestly class) bless people. (My dad taught me this when I was a child on the theory that every Cohen needs to know how. You place both hands in front of you, thumbs near each other, and spread your fingers so there is a space between the second and third fingers.)

Once upon a time my friend G gave me the ultimate Star Trek gift. It's a photo of the original crew on the bridge of the Enterprise with a Barbie doll subbing for a blonde, female ensign. Star Trek Barbie has a place of honor on our bookshelf!

Click here to read about more Star Trek Jewish moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors