December 25, 2009

And the onc says....

I saw Dr. G, Seattle's best oncologist, yesterday and he has finally come around to estradiol therapy. This is a new concept that came out of the 2008 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.

I will stay on the Fareston (toremifene) for six more weeks, to give it a chance to work. In that time I will have two blood draws, so we will see if my tumor markers decrease. If there is no change, or the markers continue to rise, then I will start estradiol, hopefully before RIk departs for his trip in February.

I am still on the merry-go-round but happy to try another estrogen-based therapy rather than chemo. My cancer is so ER+ that these drugs should all work more effectively for me that chemo. And given my bout with 5 FU last year and subsequent hospitalization, I'd like to keep pushing off chemo for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors