April 24, 2015

Scan results

The results of my scans from earlier this week are a mixed bag. The CT of my chest, abdomen and pelvis shows stable disease throughout. The brain MRI shows some progression and four tiny, new mets. I have only taken Ibrance for one cycle (one month).

Dr G decided it would be best to leave Ibrance and get me back onto a taxane. My cancer seems to respond the best to this type of chemo. I've had four separate experiences with Abraxane! He has prescribed Taxotere (docetaxel), related to Abraxane and also a derivative of the Pacific Northwest yew tree. It has similar side effects as Abraxane but is given once every 21 days.

How will I receive this infusion, you ask, if my port has been removed? On Monday the chemo nurses will insert a PICC line:
A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC or PIC line) is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time (e.g. for long chemotherapy regimens, extended antibiotic therapy, or total parenteral nutrition).
After treatment they can remove the PICC line while my port site heals up and gets ready for a new port-a-cath. If it's not fully healed in three weeks, I can always have a new PICC line started.

Now onto a chemo-free weekend!

1 comment:

Contributors