May 07, 2013

Another loss

I just heard that another friend of mine has died of metastatic breast cancer. A young woman in her 30s, we became friendly when she was originally diagnosed and then when her disease spread. I had recently referred her to Dr G when she became disenchanted with her previous oncology care. She had extensive bone and brain mets, possibly lung and liver as well. I had tried to check in with her just this past week, but didn't realize that her health had failed so rapidly.

This is why breast caner is a tragedy. Here was a lovely young woman who hardly had a chance to start her adult life when her fast-growing cancer hit. She had to retire from work, could not continue the Jewish education she loved so dearly, and moved into a group house when she could no longer live on her own.

I wish I could say more, but want to protect her family's privacy. Nonetheless, I will try to go to her funeral and the shiva minyan tomorrow.

May her memory be for a blessing to all who knew her.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 AM

    We call her Sunshine!
    She was greatly loved and will be deeply missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry. Yes, this is yet another heartbreaking loss. We will not forget.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My Photo
I dance with cancer. Oy!