January 08, 2007

New Year, Same Cancer

We rang in the new year with Rik's parents at their winter home in Florida. After a relaxing visit, and a hectic trip back, I slept for 13 hours! Who knew it takes a vacation to recover from your vacation?

I had a bone scan in December, but the results were inconclusive. I may or may not have new or active metastases. So on this Thursday I will have a PET/CT test. This test measures the uptake of glucose. Since active tumors absorb glucose more rapidly than regular tissue, it gives a good measure of tumor activity. It's also VERY expensive -- about $4000. Thankfully our health insurance will cover the costs.

But over the weekend I noticed some discomfort in my right arm, which to me indicates tumor activity. So I have called my oncologist and hopefully will be able to see him within a couple of days of the scan, to get the results, see if the pain in my right arm really is active disease, and talk about treatment options.

I tihnk we are about to take another ride on the cancer roller coaster. Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors